After a long working week I like nothing better than to order a pizza online from Domino’s and chill out with a movie. Yesterday I managed to get off work a bit earlier so I decided to challenge myself and try to make my favourite Domino’s pizza the Vegetarian Supreme and see if I could come close to making it taste like the original.
Home-Made Vegetarian Supreme Pizza Recipe (makes 1 medium sized pizza):
Ingredients for the dough:
- 200g strong white bread flour or Tipo ‘00’ flour
- 1/2 teaspoon golden caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (I used a garlic infused olive oil for extra flavour)
- 120ml warm water
Ingredients for the pizza & toppings:
- Tomato or pizza sauce (I used Napolina Pizza Topping – Tomato Sauce With Herbs)
- Olive Oil
- Onions (sliced)
- Green peppers (sliced)
- Mushrooms (sliced)
- Plum tomatoes (cut into half)
- Mozarella Cheese (150g)
- Mix the flour, yeast and salt together in a mixing bowl and stir in the olive oil. Gradually add the water and mix well until it forms a soft dough.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and place it onto a flour-dusted surface and knead it for about five minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Put the dough in a bowl and cover it with a damp towel and leave it for about an hour until it has doubled in size.
- After it has risen, take the dough out of the bowl and on a flour-dusted surface knead it around to push the air out.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface to form your pizza base. The thickness of the pizza base is to your discretion.
- Smear the tomato/pizza sauce evenly over the pizza base.
- Sprinkle the mozarella cheese and sweetcorn over the sauce and lay the onions, green peppers, mushrooms and plum tomatoes on top.
- Generously drizzle olive oil over the pizza and season with salt and pepper.
- Place in a preheated oven (220C, 425F, Gas Mark 7) and bake for around 10 minutes until it is crisp and golden around the edges and the cheese on the topping has melted.
After I made my pizza I called the girls around, ordered the actual Domino’s Vegetarian Supreme Pizza and got them to compare it to my own home-made creation. And the verdict?? Well I think my friends were just being nice when they said that they preferred my pizza because it apparently tasted fresher but I personally think that the Domino’s pizza won hands down as I couldn’t quite get the dough right. Oh well, next week I think I’m going to stick with a Domino’s pizza!
P.S If you collect the pizza rather than having it delivered it’s buy one get one free!
If you liked this post, buy me a latte :-)